Exam board: OCR
Component 01: Principles of Design Engineering
- Analyse existing products
- Demonstrate applied mathematical skills
- Demonstrate their technical knowledge of materials, product functionality, manufacturing processes and techniques
- Undertake case studies to demonstrate their understanding of wider social, moral and environmental issues that impact on the design and manufacturing industries.
Component 2 : Problem Solving
- Apply their knowledge, understanding and skills of designing and manufacturing prototypes and products to given situations and problems
- Demonstrate their higher thinking skills to solve problems and evaluate situations and suitability of design solutions.
Component 3/4 : Iterative design project
Students identify a design opportunity or problem to respond to in the development of a design solution. They create a chronological portfolio of evidence in real-time as they design, make and evaluate the project according to the iterative processes of explore, create and evaluate.
How it will be taught:
There will be the opportunity to study the two strands: Design Engineering (H404); Design and Technology: Design and Technology: Product Design (H406)
|Principles of design engineering||80||1 hour 30 minutes||26.7%|
|Problem Solving in design engineering||70||1 hour 45 minutes||23.3%|
|Iterative Design Project||100||Approximately 65 hours||50%|
Specific entry requirements:
GCSE D&T grade 6 + or Cambridge National Engineering Design/ Engineering Manufacture
The skills gained in this course will be of great benefit to any candidate considering applying for university courses in Product/ Industrial Design, Engineering, Marketing, CAD/ Animation, Textiles, Graphic Design, Fashion Design, Interior Design, Automotive Design, Furniture Design, Jewellery Design, Architecture. Students wishing to access an apprenticeship in Engineering or Marketing will also find the course of great value. Other transferrable skills include independence, problem solving, collaborative working, presentation/ communication skills and time management.